Cathedral of the Sea Ildefonso Falcones Nick Caistor Books

Cathedral of the Sea Ildefonso Falcones Nick Caistor Books
I traveled to Barcelona in 2014 and fell in love with the city. In looking for novels based in that city, I first read "The Barcelona Journal Murders" by J.C. Daifuku, a romance and murder mystery set in the early 1900s, which I thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish. I was then suggested “Cathedral of the Sea” which is set much earlier in medieval 1300s. I couldn’t relate to it as well, despite the many well-researched historical references and the intricate plot with many characters, sometimes difficult to follow.Though the author did a lot of history research and the book is a great learning experience, it often feels like the plot is forced into the events of the period, which is a long time ago; this gives it a slightly contrived feeling. Also the frequent depictions of medieval cruelty, the mistreatment of women and other dramas seems a little sensationalist and at times is almost like a caricature.
The book is written in a very straightforward manner but doesn’t have the layered feel and delight of the other book.

Tags : Amazon.com: Cathedral of the Sea (9780525950486): Ildefonso Falcones, Nick Caistor: Books,Ildefonso Falcones, Nick Caistor,Cathedral of the Sea,Penguin Group,0525950486,Thrillers - General,Fiction,Fiction - Historical,Fiction Historical,Fiction Thrillers General,Historical - General,Spanish (Language) Contemporary Fiction
Cathedral of the Sea Ildefonso Falcones Nick Caistor Books Reviews
First, I do not consider this book to be well written. The characters and plots seem contrived and the writing style is mediocre. After a few pages, I deleted the preview off my , but a few days later realized I had learned a few interesting things about law in Catalunya in the 14th Century. I purchased the book and had an enjoyable time while learning a lot about how the laws of the period effected life in Barcelona and the surrounding rural areas. The book also provides a solid introduction about how widespread trade was able to function in a time with so many conniving and combative states. If you are interested in the topics and have no desire to read a textbook, Cathedral of the Sea is well worth reading.
The story is well written, there is a disturbing but not too graphic rape early in the story, but the outcome of that abuse is integral to the story line in that the participants react and act as a direct result of it and we follow the resulting child and his father throughout the story, with his mother showing up and playing a significant part later in the story. The author describes as if you were present, life in 13th century Barcelona, Spain, with the building of the Cathedral as a backdrop to the lives and challenges of the characters. He incorporates historical figures as how the actions of the powerful affect the lives of the common person. The story is very engaging and I listened to it twice on tape before buying it for my , because visual reading is a more intimate experience.
When I started this book I was excited. I reminded me of Ken Follett's "Pillars of the Earth." Sadly, the further I read, the more tedious the vast amount of historical information drowned out the story to the point where I skimmed through pages until the whisper of the story resurfaced. The story itself took on a soap opera feel, with the weight of all that history resting unrealistically on the shoulders of the main character. He suffered one tragedy after another to illustrate the barbarity of the feudal system and the Spanish Inquisition.
There is nothing quite as satisfying as sinking your teeth into a very long, historically correct, action-packed, educational, heart-rending story woven by a master of words that turn into images, sounds and smells of a time that is long past. Bravo Mr. Falcones for this masterpiece. Life is a great story, but the way that it is told -- through generations of families, great events in history, or through the contributions of ancient stones -- laborioulsy hauled on the backs of real men, carefully aligned to become architectural marvels of grace, elegance and beauty in an era called the "Dark Ages", lovingly venerated and used to kneel upon in prayer, burned and cracked by misfortune, war and greed -- Cathedral of the Sea is a book that educated me, enlightened me, inspired me and gave me new insight into my ancestors.
This was a thrilling and captivating novel portraying Barcelona in the medieval ages. This is my 2nd novel by Ildefonso Falcones, and the author delivered the story and plot like no other. A story of treachery, battle, destitution, sickness, death, love, betrayal, hardship; all life circumstances in an era filled with mystery and intrigue. From the moment you read the first chapter to the end (600 pages); you will endure the life of a peasant, a baron, a nobleman or noblewoman, a prostitute, a warrior, a witch, a friar, an inquisitor and a king. I cant wait to see the real structure of the Santa Maria and the Sea and to imagine in the year 1300 all of bastaixos carrying on their backs the stones needed to build her. Long live Via Fora!!! ,
I liked the parts about the actual building of the Cathedral. I became exhausted with all the violence, cruelty and abusive sex.
I traveled to Barcelona in 2014 and fell in love with the city. In looking for novels based in that city, I first read "The Barcelona Journal Murders" by J.C. Daifuku, a romance and murder mystery set in the early 1900s, which I thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish. I was then suggested “Cathedral of the Sea” which is set much earlier in medieval 1300s. I couldn’t relate to it as well, despite the many well-researched historical references and the intricate plot with many characters, sometimes difficult to follow.
Though the author did a lot of history research and the book is a great learning experience, it often feels like the plot is forced into the events of the period, which is a long time ago; this gives it a slightly contrived feeling. Also the frequent depictions of medieval cruelty, the mistreatment of women and other dramas seems a little sensationalist and at times is almost like a caricature.
The book is written in a very straightforward manner but doesn’t have the layered feel and delight of the other book.

0 Response to "∎ Read Free Cathedral of the Sea Ildefonso Falcones Nick Caistor Books"
Post a Comment